A pin missing from hard drive IDE

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 c.conlin

c.conlin

• 1 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 08:56 PM

I was removing a 120GB Seagate from an external hard drive enclosure (that didn't seem to want to give it up) and a pin from the male IDE on the hard drive broke off. Not sure if this is another issue altogether, but it won't mount anymore. Can it be soldered on? Or does a missing pin not matter? Not sure how to go about doing this. I have called Seagate and they have offered no assistance other than for me to send the drive in and pay (at minimum $500) them to recover the data. There's just a bunch of music on this thing... I didn't pay for it in the first place and I don't plan on starting now, but I would like to recover it cheaply.

Thanks!

#2 whiic

whiic

hauptsturmführer

• 921 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 01:18 AM

pin from the male IDE on the hard drive broke off. Not sure if this is another issue altogether, but it won't mount anymore.

Do you have any reason to believe that the HDD not being recognized is a different issue altogether? Did you drop it onto the floor or bang it with a hammer? If not, it is highly likely (>99%) the second issue is directly caused by the first. There IS a reason why the pins do exist. Why would they even use cables if the connectors were unnecessary?

Could you give the number of the pin that came off?
http://www.pcguide.c.../confSig-c.html

Soldering the pin back to PCB is probably the cheapest repair. Another possibility is a board swap but you'd require identical (model, firmware) PCB from another drive.
Antec 1200 | HX520W | Commando | Q6600 G0 @ 3.15GHz | Noctua NH-U12F | 8GB of RAM | HD 4670 (passive)
7 TB of storage: 1x 1TB 1st gen GP, 1x 1TB 2nd gen GP, 1x 2TB 3rd gen GP, 1x 7200rpm F1, 2x 5400rpm F2 EcoGreen

#3 bfg9000

bfg9000

• 1,321 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 01:27 AM

Even if you can't replace the pin, you could solder a single wire from a 40-wire cable onto the board where the pin attaches.

Are you sure the pin broke off rather than got pushed in?

#4 yakwakdo

yakwakdo

• 75 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 06:06 PM

Even if you can't replace the pin, you could solder a single wire from a 40-wire cable onto the board where the pin attaches.

View Post

This is probably your best bet. There are pin replacement devices but the only time I've heard of using one is on expensive central office (telephone company) equipment.

#5 Big Buck Hunter

Big Buck Hunter

Mod

• 2,338 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 01:17 AM

Done this a dozen times.

Get a torx, remove the pcb. Go to staples. Get the "small" paperclips. Straighten paperclip. Get needlenose, grab remainder of broken pin on PCB, heat solder pad with soldering iron. Remove old pin remanents.

Heat straight end of paperclip with a lighter. Push it through the pin-hole from the outside. Position end above the solder pad. Heat clip above pad with iron so it fuses to the pad (may have to add solder).

Get some snips and clip the end of the paperclip off the outside of the PCB.

Done. Doesn't have to be a paperclip, I used a "christmas tree ornament hanger thingy" last time.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo

#6 AforceII

AforceII

• 360 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 01:29 AM

Done this a dozen times.

Get a torx, remove the pcb.  Go to staples.  Get the "small" paperclips.  Straighten paperclip.  Get needlenose, grab remainder of broken pin on PCB, heat solder pad with soldering iron.  Remove old pin remanents.

Heat straight end of paperclip with a lighter.  Push it through the pin-hole from the outside.  Position end above the solder pad.  Heat clip above pad with iron so it fuses to the pad (may have to add solder).

Get some snips and clip the end of the paperclip off the outside of the PCB.

Done.  Doesn't have to be a paperclip, I used a "christmas tree ornament hanger thingy" last time.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo

View Post

great idea,

or can get a bad hdd pcba, remove one pin and try to solder it back to the broken pin slot.

do the soldering nicely so that it looks like nothing has been meddle.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users