Photo

Symantec AntiVirus Corporate 10 - Resource Hog?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 opq

opq

• 290 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 10:45 PM

Hi, has anyone else noticed the extremely high CPU and memory usage by Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10? I've installed the client on a few computers now and I noticed RTVSCAN.exe and DOSCAN.exe using very high CPU loads constantly until I terminate the process, and the RAM doesn't seem to be any bit better. It can use over 150MB of physical RAM.

Any solutions apart from downgrading back to 9? At first I thought it was just an oddity but I realize now that every single computer I've upgraded/fresh installed it on gives the same symptoms.

#2 compwizrd

compwizrd

• 413 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:03 AM

Hi, has anyone else noticed the extremely high CPU and memory usage by Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10? I've installed the client on a few computers now and I

View Post

Does NAV:CE 10 work with Win98? Symantec claimed that 9 was compatible with 98, but I found MANY problems with it, assuming I could even get it to install properly.. Tried it on about half a dozen machines before decided to stick with 8.x for those machines.

#3 Ron_Jeremy

Ron_Jeremy

• 1,568 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:22 AM

Sounds like a case of Yellow Box Fever. I akin Symantec to UPS. See, if you want something broken, just ship it to yourself via UPS. Likewise, if you want to destroy a perfectly good install of Windows, just reach for the yellow box........

Sorry I wan't any help to your problem. I just scratch my head when I see people use that stuff.

Edited by Ron_Jeremy, 25 May 2005 - 01:23 AM.

#4 HisMajestyTheKing

HisMajestyTheKing

• 5,000 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 01:36 AM

Actually the Corporate antivirus isn't a bad product.
PC is too old to brag with.

#5 Ron_Jeremy

Ron_Jeremy

• 1,568 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 03:28 AM

I do confess to never using the corp version specifically, but cannot imagine the apple falling too far from the tree...If I only had a dollar for each time someone phoned me to say "...my pc was working fine, & then I installed Norton on it. Now, it <you fill in the rest>..."

#6 Ron_Jeremy

Ron_Jeremy

• 1,568 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 03:44 AM

My manager likes to push the Yellow Box onto everyone that walks in the door. If your pc has probs, "...install Norton 2005..." is his standard response. This makes things awkward for me, because if I tell a customer it's total crap, they look at me funny with a but-he-said-it's-the-best look on their face. So I pretty much have to (unenthusiastically) say I like it, which is a total lie, of course.

I would say 80% of the virus infested vomit boxes that land on my bench every day are running Norton 2004/2005.

Edited by Ron_Jeremy, 25 May 2005 - 03:45 AM.

#7 Bar81

Bar81

• 270 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 05:07 AM

Hi, has anyone else noticed the extremely high CPU and memory usage by Symantec AntiVirus Corporate Edition 10? I've installed the client on a few computers now and I noticed RTVSCAN.exe and DOSCAN.exe using very high CPU loads constantly until I terminate the process, and the RAM doesn't seem to be any bit better. It can use over 150MB of physical RAM.

Any solutions apart from downgrading back to 9? At first I thought it was just an oddity but I realize now that every single computer I've upgraded/fresh installed it on gives the same symptoms.

View Post

Something is VERY wrong. I've been using AV Corp 10 with realtime scanning and my CPU usage never goes above 5% with it resting in the 1-3% range usually.

#8 HisMajestyTheKing

HisMajestyTheKing

• 5,000 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 05:08 AM

Norton 200x is a very different beast from their corporate antivirus. Actually I foudn their consumer antivirus quite good at catching virii but at the expense of too many system resources. At home and on my laptop at work I use AVG Free and my PC at work runs NAV2005 because that's what most of our customers use. It's acceptable on a 3.2 GHz machine though.

#9 Bar81

Bar81

• 270 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 05:08 AM

I do confess to never using the corp version specifically, but cannot imagine the apple falling too far from the tree...If I only had a dollar for each time someone phoned me to say "...my pc was working fine, & then I installed Norton on it. Now, it <you fill in the rest>..."

View Post

Start imagining. Symantec AV Corp is a fantastic product, VASTLY unlike the garbage yearly retail update versions.

#10 Bar81

Bar81

• 270 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 05:10 AM

Norton 200x is a very different beast from their corporate antivirus.  Actually I foudn their consumer antivirus quite good at catching virii but at the expense of too many system resources.  At home and on my laptop at work I use AVG Free and my PC at work runs NAV2005 because that's what most of our customers use.  It's acceptable on a 3.2 GHz machine though.

View Post

The retail products are HUGE system hogs and they install crap that you just don't need. I wouldn't touch the yearly retail Norton programs with a 10 foot pole. Corp AV on the other hand is what I use in all systems and couldn't be more pleased with its low resource usage, efficiency, and performance.

#11 Fatal0E

Fatal0E

• 63 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 09:18 AM

One of my customers hired some kind of an "IT Consultant" for one of his companies (I never seem to do much for that company, but do for all the others, don't know why). That office has many 600mhz PIII running 128-256MB ram and win2k. All they do is open a webpage which uses citrix to fire up an access 97 database over the web. This IT consultant called me, she said that she installed Norton 2005 on all these machines and now they are so slow that its not even worth trying to use them and she did not know what to do. My suggestion was to junk the Norton, but she seemed to think that Norton was gods gift to computer security. So she had me give her a quote for all brand new top of the line computers for the office so she could run Norton 2005.

Haven't heard anything else so I am guessing her boss didnt go for it. Hes a funny guy, he once told me he thinks Norton writes all these virus's to sell more software because every computer he had Norton on was full of virus's.

#12 Ron_Jeremy

Ron_Jeremy

• 1,568 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 03:27 PM

Hes a funny guy, he once told me he thinks Norton writes all these virus's to sell more software because every computer he had Norton on was full of virus's.

HAHAHAHA. I sometimes wonder too. Tell him we should start our own conspiracy theory on this :P

#13 xSTLx

xSTLx

Storage Fanatic

• 1,850 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 04:34 PM

My manager likes to push the Yellow Box onto everyone that walks in the door. If your pc has probs, "...install Norton 2005..." is his standard response. This makes things awkward for me, because if I tell a customer it's total crap, they look at me funny with a but-he-said-it's-the-best look on their face. So I pretty much have to (unenthusiastically) say I like it, which is a total lie, of course.

I would say 80% of the virus infested vomit boxes that land on my bench every day are running Norton 2004/2005.

View Post

I hate antivirus software. I do not run it and never have. It slows down your machine with no real benefit. If I ever do manage to somehow get a virus I will low level format and reload, but I have yet to get a virus in all my years of computing.

Usually people that don't know to much tell everyone get this and it wil fix it, like your manager, is he really qualified for the job?
Sony VAIO SVS15127PXB - 2.2 ghz i7 - 1920x1080 HD 15.5" Display - 8gb DDR3 - Intel SSD 300gb - DVD RW - GeForce GT 640M LE 1gb GDDR - Windows 8 Pro

#14 xSTLx

xSTLx

Storage Fanatic

• 1,850 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 04:44 PM

One of my customers hired some kind of an "IT Consultant" for one of his companies (I never seem to do much for that company, but do for all the others, don't know why).  That office has many 600mhz PIII running 128-256MB ram and win2k.  All they do is open a webpage which uses citrix to fire up an access 97 database over the web.  This IT consultant called me, she said that she installed Norton 2005 on all these machines and now they are so slow that its not even worth trying to use them and she did not know what to do.  My suggestion was to junk the Norton, but she seemed to think that Norton was gods gift to computer security.  So she had me give her a quote for all brand new top of the line computers for the office so she could run Norton 2005. 

Haven't heard anything else so I am guessing her boss didnt go for it.  Hes a funny guy, he once told me he thinks Norton writes all these virus's to sell more software because every computer he had Norton on was full of virus's.

View Post

I get that all the time. "My computer is running slow, whats wrong with it" My standard answer is "do you have antivirus software?" These companies like Norton are putting out system hogs to do something that does not require a system hog program, I see people constantly trying to run the latest and greatest yearly Norton release on their 10 year old "vomit boxes." Norton 2005 does not run to good on a P II 266 with 128 megs of ram and your right next they want to go buy a new computer so they can run Norton. I wonder if Computer manufacturers kick back to Norton for all the sales Norton generates. If I was Dell or Gateway (or any other builder of crap) I would advertise by saying " Look here it runs Norton 2005. " Anyways I refer people to Housecall, its always updated and is just as effective, just run it daily. By refering people to housecall I save people time and money and release them from the clutches of Norton. I have known people caught up in Mcafee hell. Mcafee send you emails almost daily asking you to spend another $30 on some dam thing you dont need. :angry:

Edited by xSTLx, 25 May 2005 - 04:46 PM.

Sony VAIO SVS15127PXB - 2.2 ghz i7 - 1920x1080 HD 15.5" Display - 8gb DDR3 - Intel SSD 300gb - DVD RW - GeForce GT 640M LE 1gb GDDR - Windows 8 Pro

#15 opq

opq

• 290 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:44 PM

I agree that SAV corporate edition is a very solid product, except I just do not understand what happened with SAVCE 10.

I wonder if it's because we upgraded from SAVCE 9. I'll try doing a clean install and seeing what happens. Strange thing is that the same thing happend with a fresh install on a new Windows Server 2003 box.

The only difference I can see would be with their Tamper protection. Should I turn this off? What do you guys do?

Edited by opq, 25 May 2005 - 08:46 PM.

#16 Bar81

Bar81

• 270 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:16 AM

I agree that SAV corporate edition is a very solid product, except I just do not understand what happened with SAVCE 10.

I wonder if it's because we upgraded from SAVCE 9. I'll try doing a clean install and seeing what happens. Strange thing is that the same thing happend with a fresh install on a new Windows Server 2003 box.

The only difference I can see would be with their Tamper protection. Should I turn this off? What do you guys do?

View Post

I don't use tamper protection but enabling it shows no difference in system resource usage. It sounds like you have something wrong with your setup. Possibly a conflict between Corp AV 10 and some other program.

#17 opq

opq

• 290 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:42 AM

Strange thing that. The same problem happens when I install SAVCE 10 on a clean install of Windows Server 2003.

#18 Bar81

Bar81

• 270 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 12:49 PM

Strange thing that. The same problem happens when I install SAVCE 10 on a clean install of Windows Server 2003.

View Post

Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version of the AV?

Edited by Bar81, 26 May 2005 - 12:51 PM.

#19 HisMajestyTheKing

HisMajestyTheKing

• 5,000 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:37 PM

I hate antivirus software. I do not run it and never have. It slows down your machine with no real benefit. If I ever do manage to somehow get a virus I will low level format and reload, but I have yet to get a virus in all my years of computing.

Now that's an intelligent thin to say :rolleyes: If you run Windows and use email, you NEED some form of virusscanner. I fear for the people you may give advice.

#20 sdbardwick

sdbardwick

Posted 26 May 2005 - 02:54 PM

Now that's an intelligent thin to say :rolleyes: If you run Windows and use email, you NEED some form of virusscanner. I fear for the people you may give advice.

View Post

Not directed at xSTLx in particular, but when presented with a similar mindset, my standard response is along the lines of "No, it doesn't mean you have never had a virus, it just means you don't know if you had or even presently have a virus. Not getting tested for HIV does not mean you are HIV negative."
Usually gets the point across.

#21 meanie

meanie

• 163 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 03:23 PM

I run Windows and use email (just not Outlook), and I don't run any anti-virus software in the background, which is really a waste of CPU time. And I have never got viruses except once, a couple years ago on XP without a firewall running, I connected to the internet and was automatically infected. Now I just run a firewall.

Generally, it's possible to tell when a virus is on your system by looking at various things. But I don't recommend any average user to not have an anti-virus program running.

Oh, and you don't need to get an HIV test to know you're HIV negative if you don't go sleep around with a bunch of people or do drugs :p

#22 opq

opq

• 290 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 08:34 PM

View Post

Are you using the 32-bit or 64-bit version of the AV?

View Post

The 32-bit version.

#23 xSTLx

xSTLx

Storage Fanatic

• 1,850 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 09:48 PM

View Post

I run house call time to time. Sorry virus scanners are a gimmick.

#24 xSTLx

xSTLx

Storage Fanatic

• 1,850 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 09:49 PM

View Post

Not directed at xSTLx in particular, but when presented with a similar mindset, my standard response is along the lines of "No, it doesn't mean you have never had a virus, it just means you don't know if you had or even presently have a virus. Not getting tested for HIV does not mean you are HIV negative."
Usually gets the point across.

View Post

Trust me I have no viruses.

#25 xSTLx

xSTLx

Storage Fanatic

• 1,850 posts

Posted 26 May 2005 - 09:50 PM

I run Windows and use email (just not Outlook), and I don't run any anti-virus software in the background, which is really a waste of CPU time.  And I have never got viruses except once, a couple years ago on XP without a firewall running, I connected to the internet and was automatically infected.  Now I just run a firewall.

Generally, it's possible to tell when a virus is on your system by looking at various things.  But I don't recommend any average user to not have an anti-virus program running.

Oh, and you don't need to get an HIV test to know you're HIV negative if you don't go sleep around with a bunch of people or do drugs :P

View Post

This is what I'm trying to get across whats the point in wasting cpu on a hog program running scanning every dam thing the computer does, thus slowing you down. If you must check run housecall its really great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users