I'm about to build a rig using these parts:

ASUS P5GD1 Pro with 915P chipset
P4 540J 3.2 GHz
2x512Mb PC3200 Geil value RAM
Maxtor Diamondmax 10 200GB SATA harddrive, 8Mb buffer
Pioneer DVR 109
Leadtek PX6800, 256Mb
Antec SLK-2650 BQE

Now, how do I go about enabling NCQ? I've read here that something called AHCI must be enabled prior to OS installation for NCQ to work, and if it isn't, you must reinstall the OS and during that, install AHCI from a floppy? Did I get that right?

Does that mean a floppy with AHCI drivers(?) is the only way to get NCQ, even when installing the OS for the first time, or do I have a 'one shot' chance of enabling AHCI in the BIOS before that first time OS install?

Also, do I need the Intel Application Accelerator (which now only is for RAID?), considering this is a single disk setup?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

#2 Grayhawk

Grayhawk

• 13 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 08:24 PM

I'm guessing that the 51 views and no answers mean that no one knows?!?

I continued my research and found that the 'Intel Matrix Storage Technology' is required for NCQ, even for single disk setups.

I've also put together the parts and started on the OS install, after configuring SATA to AHCI in the BIOS (which accurately detects my Maxtor drive).

But when I come to the part where it says 'Press enter to install Windows now', I'm told that no harddrive is found.

I'm guessing that this means that you cannot install to a AHCI configured SATA disk, without installing the Intel Application Accelerator from a floppy during/prior to the Windows installation.

Can anybody confirm this?

I just find it strange and cumbersome that a brand new technology like NCQ should be utterly dependent on a legacy device such as a floppy drive (which I haven't installed in this rig...)

#3 ericg

ericg

Mister

• 695 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 10:16 PM

You can install Windows with AHCI off (SATA will appear as IDE), install Intel's SATA2 driver with the silly name, then switch AHCI on. Should work, read the docs first.

#4 Grayhawk

Grayhawk

• 13 posts

Posted 21 April 2005 - 10:25 PM

You can install Windows with AHCI off (SATA will appear as IDE), install Intel's SATA2 driver with the silly name, then switch AHCI on. Should work, read the docs first.

View Post

From what I've read, you cannot enable NCQ if you haven't set your SATA drive to AHCI before the OS install.

Does anyone here have any hands-on experience that either debunks or confirms this?

#5 cypherpunks

cypherpunks

• 48 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 11:09 AM

View Post

From what I've read, you cannot enable NCQ if you haven't set your SATA drive to AHCI before the OS install.

Does anyone here have any hands-on experience that either debunks or confirms this?

http://forums.pcper....ad.php?t=444831

#6 continuum

continuum

Mod

• Mod
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 20 September 2007 - 01:21 PM

Holy old posts batman... you know it's okay next time to create a new post, and just link to the old topic. :) This helps preserve continuity of the discussion. Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users