Photo

Possible to format raw HD to NTFS without XP CD?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 webmal

webmal

• 32 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 07:14 AM

I tried using BartPE to format a raw (unformatted) SATA drive to NTFS but was not successful because BartPE cannot detect the drive. I'm using a WD WD740GD (Raptor) hard drive and the WD Data Diagnostic and Data Lifeguard Tools contains no feature that will format the drive to NTFS.

I also tried the Ultimate Boot CD but I don't know which utility lets you format a raw (unformatted) hard disk into NTFS. Please help.

Thanks.

Edited by webmal, 16 April 2005 - 07:14 AM.

#2 subman

subman

• 49 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 12:11 AM

Have a look at www.bootdisk.com they have all sorts of boot disks as well as ISO files. There is one called "Windows XP Fresh Install Bootdisk And Bootable CD"

#3 webmal

webmal

• 32 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 12:21 AM

Have a look at www.bootdisk.com they have all sorts of boot disks as well as ISO files. There is one called "Windows XP Fresh Install Bootdisk And Bootable CD"

View Post

I already checked them out, that boot CD does not format a raw hard disk into NTFS. Thanks anyway. Anybody else?

#4 bennt

bennt

• 234 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 01:20 AM

1. Hook up the drive to an existing W2K/WXP system and partiton and format in Windows.

2. You could try Seagate DiscWizard. I know you have a WD, but it is worth a shot. The Seagate tools allow you to partition and format in NTFS. You can download for free and create either bootable floppies or a cdrom. If it doesn't work the only thing you've wasted is a bit of time.

#5 blueznl

blueznl

• 29 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:57 AM

I tried using BartPE to format a raw (unformatted) SATA drive to NTFS but was not successful because BartPE cannot detect the drive. I'm using a WD WD740GD (Raptor) hard drive and the WD Data Diagnostic and Data Lifeguard Tools contains no feature that will format the drive to NTFS.

I also tried the Ultimate Boot CD but I don't know which utility lets you format a raw (unformatted) hard disk into NTFS. Please help.

Thanks.

View Post

partitionmagic does this, as does acronis disk director suite

#6 webmal

webmal

• 32 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:26 PM

bennt, it's a lot of trouble to hook up the drive to an existing PC just to format my drive. Besides, I don't have a spare PC. The Seagate DiscWizard refuses to run when it did not detect a Seagate drive :(

blueznl, I'm aware that Partition Magic and Disk Director Suite are capable but I don't want to spend $50-$70 just to format my drive. I'm not stingy, I don't mind paying $5-$10. Perhaps there's a cheaper option?

I'm stumped, nobody makes a free/inexpensive bootup CD that can format a RAW drive into NTFS?

#7 blueznl

blueznl

• 29 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:31 PM

another solution: format it with fat32, then later convert it from within xp to ntfs... what i do not understand, why do you need to format it?

#8 webmal

webmal

• 32 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 02:48 PM

blueznl, formatting it with FAT32 and later converting it from within XP will definitely work but I don't want to install XP from CD. I'm going to install it from an image created by Acronis True Image and they tell me: "If you want to store image files on your new disk (RAW) you need to format it first..." - Acronis Support Team

That's why I'm looking for a utility that can do this. Any more ideas?

Edited by webmal, 17 April 2005 - 02:50 PM.

#9 bennt

bennt

• 234 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:04 PM

Are you trying to restore from image files to the new disk? If so, I doubt you need to partition and format first.

I use Ghost almost exclusively, but I hear Acronis is as good or better. With Ghost you don't need to do anything to the disk prior to restoring, so I'm not sure why Acronis would.

If you are just trying to store images on a disk, then yes it needs to be formatted first, but FAT32 or NTFS should both work fine.

#10 cquinn

cquinn

Posted 17 April 2005 - 04:26 PM

Silly question...

Did you integrate the SATA controller drivers in with Bart PE, or (F6) install them
at boot time?

#11 webmal

webmal

• 32 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 08:11 PM

cquinn, I did not integrate the SATA controller drivers with BartPE or (F6) install them at boot time because I'm using a socket 478 motherboard (native SATA) and BartPE was created with XP SP2 which detects Intel's SATA controllers. I know this fact because when the disk had XP, it detected the drive without need for F6 install at boot time.

Any more ideas?

#12 yakwakdo

yakwakdo

• 75 posts

Posted 17 April 2005 - 10:23 PM

If you created the image, and if you created a PE disc, then I would assume you have a Windows XP disc which, btw, will format to NTFS. Another option, though I have not tested it, is to download the XP boot floppies from MS. Perhaps they will get you far enough to format the drive.

Where is the image coming from? CD? Network? I agree that any imaging software should be able to clone a disk without the need for formatting. However, if you have an image of only one partition on a disk, then I can see why you might need to format first.

Are you planning on imaging only one PC? Please expound on your predicament and perhaps we can offer a work-around.

#13 bfg9000

bfg9000

• 1,321 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 12:53 AM

Don't know about Acronis, but a Ghost floppy only needs to see the disk has a partition on it. You can create a FAT32 partition and don't even need to format it! Ghost will overwrite it with an NTFS partition if your image is an NTFS disk or partition, and you pick either disk or partition copy.

#14 webmal

webmal

• 32 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 03:30 AM

If you created the image, and if you created a PE disc, then I would assume you have a Windows XP disc which, btw, will format to NTFS.  Another option, though I have not tested it, is to download the XP boot floppies from MS. 

Where is the image coming from?  CD? Network?  I agree that any imaging software should be able to clone a disk without the need for formatting.  However, if you have an image of only one partition on a disk, then I can see why you might need to format first.

View Post

I have a genuine XP Home SP1 disc and also a disc with SP2 slipstreamed - how do I format? Bear in mind that I can't use XP's Recovery Console (i.e. XP CD) because there's no OS and I don't want to install XP from CD.

FYI the image is coming from 2 DVD-R. I don't have a floppy drive (never used one in years) to create boot floppies. Besides, I doubt I can use XP's Recovery Console from floppies either since there's no OS or FAT/NTFS file system.

Don't know about Acronis, but a Ghost floppy only needs to see the disk has a partition on it. 

View Post

FYI my drive has been wiped with DBAN so there are NO partitions or file system.

Please help.

#15 erikko

erikko

• 13 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 03:40 AM

I'm going to install it from an image created by Acronis True Image and they tell me: "If you want to store image files on your new disk (RAW) you need to format it first..." - Acronis Support Team

View Post

I think you misunderstood them - they're referring to the disk you are storing the backup image (which is a file and needs a file system) on, not the disk you want to restore the image to.

#16 webmal

webmal

• 32 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 03:50 AM

erikko, I didn't misunderstood them because I sent them an email to clarify and they clearly state that a RAW drive needs to be formatted first before REstore. The support folks are Russians so the get mixed up with the word "store" and "restore".

I believe my problem is due to the fact that I used DBAN first, I think most people just restore a good image. Any suggestions?

#17 webmal

webmal

• 32 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 04:00 AM

I think in most places a complete drive scrub is company policy. I'm surprised there is no NTFS formatting utility...knock-knock...business opp :)

#18 bfg9000

bfg9000

• 1,321 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 05:37 AM

In the time this has taken, you could have installed XP from either of your XP discs and then overwritten the install with your image by now!

You could even reset the computer after the XP install has created the filesystem and starts to copy files if you don't want to wait.

#19 webmal

webmal

• 32 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 06:21 AM

In the time this has taken, you could have installed XP from either of your XP discs and then overwritten the install with your image by now!

View Post

You're spot on, that's what I did and that's how I got this computer (typing on now) working again but there must be a better method for my future restores.

#20 Olaf van der Spek

Olaf van der Spek

• 1,958 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:00 AM

I think in most places a complete drive scrub is company policy. I'm surprised there is no NTFS formatting utility...knock-knock...business opp :)

View Post

What does (NTFS) formating have to do with scrubbing?

#21 non-poster

non-poster

• 20 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 01:33 PM

You could try using mkntfs from the Linux-NTFS project. A Linux live CD may have these tools already installed. Just boot the CD and do what you need to do without installing anything.

It looks like Knoppix v3.8.1 has the tools installed.

#22 subman

subman

• 49 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:05 PM

I have a genuine XP Home SP1 disc and also a disc with SP2 slipstreamed - how do I format? Bear in mind that I can't use XP's Recovery Console (i.e. XP CD) because there's no OS and I don't want to install XP from CD.

When I have a new drive I format it using the Recovery Console - did it 2 days back too.

You dont have to have a pre-installed XP on the drive to use the Recovery Console.

In the Recover Console run DISKPART and make the partitions you need (even if the drive is going to be a single partition) and then run the format command from the Recovery Console.

Just my $0.02

#23 webmal

webmal

• 32 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:51 PM

When I have a new drive I format it using the Recovery Console - did it 2 days back too.

You dont have to have a pre-installed XP on the drive to use the Recovery Console.

View Post

Are you sure your drive was RAW (i.e. scrubbed with DBAN or similar)? I don't think so because Recovery Console refuses to run when it cannot detect my drive.

#24 webmal

webmal

• 32 posts

Posted 18 April 2005 - 11:56 PM

Subman, the XP Recovery Console does not detect a RAW drive.

#25 subman

subman

• 49 posts

Posted 19 April 2005 - 12:58 AM

Subman, the XP Recovery Console does not detect a RAW drive.

View Post

Came across this info on DBAN...

Q: I used DBAN and my C drive disappeared. Why did this happen?

A: DBAN erases the partition table, which causes all drive letters to disappear.

Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows 2003 will automatically create a partition during installation.

Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows ME might require that you use the FDISK program on the startup media to "create a primary DOS partition", which you must also format.

A:\> fdisk
A:\> format c:

see the full article here ... http://dban.sourceforge.net/faq/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users