• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Eugene

Eugene

Administrator

• 1,057 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 09:35 AM

For the better part of two decades, the standard for hard drive chassis has rested with the 3.5" form factor. In an effort to integrate more spindles per cubic foot, however, industry-giant Seagate has started shifting its enterprise-oriented offerings towards a more svelte 2.5" standard. How does the firm's first implementation stack up? Let's take a closer look at the Savvio 10K.1!

Seagate Savvio 10K.1 Review

#2 warmonger

warmonger

• 449 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 11:41 PM

Just a few typos I noticed:

It is important to note again that the lower seek time predominately arises from the smaller distances that the Savvio's actuator must travel rather than from a the actuator sporting more power.

Should say "...Savvio's actuator must travel, rather than from the actuator sporting more power."

The following results serve only as a reference; SR does not factor them into final judgmentsand recommends that readers do the sameT.

Missing space and extra T.

Subjective impressions concur- this is a remarkable silent drive when idle.

Remarkable should be remarkably.

In fact, StorageReview will soon demonstrate, today's 5400 RPM notebook drives, sharing the same form factor as the Savvio, give the drive a run for its money.

Should say, "In fact, as StorageReview..."

Thanks for the article. It was an interesting read, even though I'm not looking for drives.

#3 Eugene

Eugene

Administrator

• 1,057 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 11:47 PM

Corrections made, thanks for your sharp eye!

#4 warmonger

warmonger

• 449 posts

Posted 08 November 2004 - 11:53 PM

Sharp eye, eh? Most people would call it anal-retentiveness, but I like your way better :D.

#5 stone cold steve austin

stone cold steve austin

• 938 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 11:10 AM

Yes, anal is a better word. Anyway, I think that this drive does have a place in the hdd world. The world of devices that require low heat, low noise, and ultra reliability. Unfortunately, as already pointed out, not for the desktop market! It will be interesting how many units are actually sold period. Will the unit actually selll in the retail market!!!...

SCSA

#6 Darking

Darking

• 237 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 11:41 AM

And it would be able to setup 8 drive (atleast) 1U boxes... or 24 drive 3U boxes, compared to todays 4 drive and 14/15 drive.

More space on few U's == $$$

Darking
What We Do in Life Echoes in Eternity.

#7 PsychoStreak

PsychoStreak

Posted 09 November 2004 - 01:03 PM

Quick question. I noticed in this review that the single page view is gone. Was that intentional?

#8 balding_ape

balding_ape

• 2,350 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 03:49 PM

Will the unit actually selll in the retail market!!!...

Er, I think the review answers that question adequately.

#9 Maxtor storage

Maxtor storage

• 1,502 posts

Posted 09 November 2004 - 07:57 PM

To Eugene:
October is also being spelled as Oktober when the Forum records the last reply.

#10 millenix

millenix

• 1 posts

Posted 26 January 2005 - 03:14 AM

It is important to note again that the lower seek time predominately arises from the smaller distances that the Savvio's actuator must travel rather than from the actuator sporting more power. The other 10,000 RPM designs listed above would approach or even beat the Savvio's score were they short-stroked down to 73 gigs. They would, however, remain just as bulky as always, relatively speaking.

Is there any chance that you will do a comparison between the performance of the Savvio and the performance of short-stroked competitive drives? Otherwise, this statement is a bald assertion left begging for evidence to support it.

Other than this point, I thought the article was up to your usual standards of thoroughness and integrity.

Phil

#11 SHR_03

SHR_03

• 1 posts

Posted 02 February 2005 - 04:38 PM

Your Leaderboard comment:

"... Finally, the Seagate Savvio 10K.1 leverages a smaller form factor to easily turn in the best random access performance of any 10K RPM hard drive"

I'm not sure I see this in the random IO numbers. Savvio seems to be significantly trailing Maxtor and Fujitsu except on Q1 where it's on par.

Savvio did better than 10K.7 but that's not saying much.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users