Photo

Recertified Hard Drives

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Krusher

Krusher

Posted 07 August 2004 - 01:05 PM

Has anyone had bad experiences with recertified hard drives?

Hypermicro seems to have about the longest warranty on their recertfied SCSI drives (a year compared to 90 days! elsewhere.)

I'm wondering whether I should get a recertified drive as a scratch drive, or whether they are any less reliable than a new one. In theory, since they are rebuilt and individually checked, they should be as good or better than new I'd think. And, it's not going to be my OS drive so I could take a chance and save some $$$.

If not, then I'll I'll just get a new one from HM. (In 2 months or so.)

Thanks.

#2 blakerwry

blakerwry

Posted 07 August 2004 - 05:16 PM

I think that recertified usually means that the drive was returned for being defective, but once returned the vendor/manufacturer found nothing wrong.

This could mean user error(probably the most likely), or it could mean that the drive's fault was not deemed to be critical or important(for example a few bad sectors), or worse that the fault is intermittant and simply wasn't caught once returned.

For non critical data storage and a 1 year vendor warranty I wouldn't have any qualms. But I would not use it as a main drive in a system, any downtime experienced is probably not worth the relatively small savings compared to a new drive.
Posted Image

#3 sechs

sechs

• 1,525 posts

Posted 07 August 2004 - 06:08 PM

Generally, I agree. Recertified drives, whether refurbished or not, should conform to the manufacturer's original specifications. If properly done, the drive should be as reliable as a new drive. Seeing as the drive has been used, it should statistically be less likely to fail than a factory-new drive.

I have used recertified drives and never had an issue with them. If you purchase them with an understanding of what you are getting, you should have no problems.

#4 Tritium

Tritium

• 20 posts

Posted 08 August 2004 - 05:41 AM

I bought 2 Seagate ST336752LC (36GB 15krpm SCA) about 6 month ago, both were factory recertified.
About 2 month ago one of them died after beeing used 24/7 for 4 month in my home server. They were cooled with a 80mm fan so they didin´t run hot.

This doesn´t proove that recertified drives are bad quality neither I wanted to express that, this was just my experience.

#5 Topweasel

Topweasel

• 126 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 07:49 AM

As a ex-employee of a retale shop i would have to say stay away from repaired products. Generally manufacturers replace the part that Failed and not the part that cuased the failure in the first place. Not all places are like this but it can take 2 to 3 repairs on the same product before they actually take care of the real issue. But again this depends on the tech working on it, If the problem is something they have delt with alot you might get a person smart enough to connect the dots and know what the real source of the problem is.

#6 blacklotus

blacklotus

• 39 posts

Posted 09 August 2004 - 05:30 PM

I cannot stress this enough: Whether you are using recertified drives or brand new ones, if your data is very important, always always always have at least 1 backup copy. You will be glad you did. :)

#7 Krusher

Krusher

Posted 09 August 2004 - 08:00 PM

Ok, I'm still considering whether or not I really need another SCSI drive. :)

But if I continue with SCSI, it would be nice to find something recertified >1 year warranty. If the original warranties are 5 years, it would be nice to have something in-between 1 and 5.

#8 logical1

logical1

• 131 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 08:17 AM

I just added 11 Seagate 50gb SCSI drives to an array. All drives were recertified. I'll let everyone know what happens. I don't recall what the warranty was, but at $34/drive, I didn't much care.

#9 Brian Smith

Brian Smith

• 10 posts

Posted 10 August 2004 - 05:33 PM

I purchased 10 ST3146807LC Seagate 10K.6, 146 GB SCA and 1 ST336753LC Seagate 15K.3, 36 GB, SCA recertified drives from Hypermicro in December 2003. They have run perfectly since then in various RAID 1, 5, and 1+0 arrays.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users