Replacing A Bad Drive In A Scsi Raid 5 Array

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 azev

azev

• 70 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 07:28 AM

I have this custom build 8 drives external scsi raid array for a while now.
The backplane is capable of U160 and currently populated with quantum altlas II drive (73GB).
In the last few days, one of the drives are reporting lots of error and making some weird noise. The array is still fully functional and not degraded yet, but I am sure it is going bad soon.
I am having problem finding the same drives online, most of them are newer drive Maxtor Atlas III.

Now my question is; is it ok to replace one of the drives with newer drives ?
Will there be any effects on the speed and functionality of the array ??

Thanks

#2 HisMajestyTheKing

HisMajestyTheKing

• 5,000 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 08:29 AM

What's the brand of you enclosure and disks? If it's from some big OEM (like IBM, HPaq, ...) it's best to buy a drive from them.
PC is too old to brag with.

#3 wfn

wfn

• 278 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 09:52 AM

i presume you are talking about atlas 10k II not atlas II since those only went up to 18gb.

it is best to replace with the same model drive with the same firmware level but if you cannot find one you can use a different drive with the same or greater capacity. try to call up maxtor and see what the exact capacity in bytes is your 10k ii and see if a 10k iii is large enough, i've seen those around for as low as 200 bucks.

#4 mejv

mejv

• 260 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 04:55 PM

As said earlier here, you can replace the faulty drive by any drive of any speed of the same or greater capacity. It does not have to be faster to work, but it would affect the spped of the array since they all need to complete the data request to allow the RAID to send the data to the host...

It is a matter of speed vs functionality...
A faster drive would not speed up the array, but a slower drive would... it is as fast as the weakest link...

Good luck.

MEJV

#5 azev

azev

• 70 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 05:04 AM

I use a custom build enclosure using external 8 bay scsi case, and 2 cremax 4 drives hot swapable sca scsi enclosure.

So, as long as the replacement drive is at least the same size or larger it should be ok. As far performance goes, I think newer 10k 73GB drives will have faster speed than my current drive.

Will having a different drive in a arrays slows down the overall array speed ??

#6 HisMajestyTheKing

HisMajestyTheKing

• 5,000 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 01:42 PM

IIRC Atlas 10kII topped out at 36 GB.

Will having a different drive in a arrays slows down the overall array speed ??

You'll only notice the difference if the drive you add is considerably slower or firmware is horribly mismatched, though I've only experienced the latter only once. (some fool using Compaq drives in an IBM system)
PC is too old to brag with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users