Photo

Prolific Pl3507 Usb/firewire Chipset -- Opinions?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#51 lexwalker

lexwalker

• 433 posts

Posted 02 March 2005 - 09:47 PM

You can find the ROM writer and the firmware version here. http://member.newsgu...07 Firmware.htm
Version of rom writer to use depends on your current firmware.
Try a read with the newest one to start with, if it fails, try an older one!
You need to connect your enclosure using USB2 in order to flash.
Hope this helps.

I checked that page, one of the link http://www.bustrace....elayedwrite.htm in there mentions about these enclosures and delayed write failure in conjunction with some Maxtor drives. Of course I'm not worried since I don't use them (all are Seagates, and so far haven't encountered "delayed write failures" yet).. but I will definitely check mine and see if such corruption occurs with Seagate drives also. :o

#52 Dr-Rogg

Dr-Rogg

• 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 06:45 AM

[quote= but I will definitely check mine and see if such corruption occurs with Seagate drives also. :o
[/quote]

Oh believe me, they happen with Seagates too...

-R

#53 lexwalker

lexwalker

• 433 posts

Posted 26 March 2005 - 09:35 AM

Hmm.. all my files checked out fine (all MD5 checksums passed). Each drive have about 149GB full.. Relieved! :blush:

#54 raddygast

raddygast

• 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 07:12 PM

Hello, all.

I have a Bytecc ME-7050U2F (or ME-705, can't figure what it's actually called). It's the USB2.0 / 1394 combo drive using the Prolific PL-3507.

Now, I can't figure out what revision it's running. Anyway, I had two disk corruptions in the past, but no delayed write failures. The disk corruptions happened like this:

1) Under USB2.0. I was using Partition Magic 8.0 to MERGE two NTFS partitions and the process hung halfway through. I expected data to be corrupted and I assumed it was a problem with Partition Magic.

2) Under Firewire, on another computer with an nForce 3 chipset (VIA 1394). However, I was doing something a bit weird: I was flashing the motherboard BIOS through an MSI Live Update utility that did the flashing from within Windows XP! So, I assumed maybe it had something to do with that. I found out when I rebooted after the flash, chkdsk came up and said the $Mft was messed up, and then the disk was unreadable/corrupt.

Those problems may have nothing to do with this issue, esp. the first one since it was under USB 2.0 and during a failed partition merge! But the second one seems like a possibility. So.... I downloaded the newest (Nov 9/04) firmware from that guy's website and tried to flash my drive under USB2.0.

Well, it worked, but here is my problem: how can I tell if I actually CHANGED the firmware? I took notes, used the 2.2 ROM flasher, and the newest firmware on that guy's website. Here is what I got when I read the ROM info, before and after:

Before:

ROM size: 32(KB)
FW ver.2004.04.07.106
Vendor ID: ATMEL
Chip ID: BV512
Checksum: 9B27

After:

FW ver.2004.04.07.106

Please note: I coulda SWORN the Checksum on my "after" was different... it's possible that the text file containing my notes has a cut and paste error. But I do remember that before and after were identical except for the checksums... i.e. FW ver both read "FW ver.2004.04.07.106".

Now, I backed up the previous firmware, and I notice it's a .bin file that is about one third the size of the .hex file containing the new firmware. Is that normal? Is a .bin just a compressed .hex file?

So my question is, how can I tell if I actually upgraded anything? Is that new firmware different (but the same version number?) Is it possible my drive came with the newest firmware already (in which case the corruption may have been due to the bios flash?)

All you guys who successfully flashed your enclosures, what does the FW ver read now... I wanna be sure I got the right one on there.

Any replies greatly appreciated.

#55 raddygast

raddygast

• 2 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 09:28 PM

Can't seem to edit posts, so I wanted to post a quick followup.

I just used ROMWriter to read the firmware again, and suddenly the FW version is now read correctly, i.e. it shows that I have updated it. I don't know why it didn't do that before. As stated what I posted above is probably incorrect with the checksum (I remember it saying 6D81) but I am positive it first appeared to have the 2004.04.07.106 after I flashed it.

But now, using ROMWriter 2.2.1 (and also 2.2) it shows the new version. But the checksums are different. Is that normal? Anyway I have no clue why this thing didn't show the updated firmware right away -- I'm pretty sure I ejected the device, turned it off, then powered it back up. But maybe you have to physically disconnect the cable? Anyway:

Before:

FW ver.2004.04.07.106

After:

FW ver.2004.11.09.185
Checksum: 6D81 (with RomWriter 2.2.1)
Checksum: 8000 (with RomWriter 2.2)

I will followup here if I ever get any more partition/disk corruption. Somehow I have a feeling I haven't licked this problem yet, but lots of people seem happy with the 11.09.185 firmware so fingers crossed.

#56 brook_jones

brook_jones

• 3 posts

Posted 29 March 2005 - 07:38 PM

I've still been having problems burning DVDs with my enclosure (ByteCC ME320-U2F / Mac OS X 10.3 / BenQ DW1610 burner), with about 3 coasters for every 1 good burn. Sigh.

However, I thought I would point out that Prolific have another new firmware update, 2004-12-09, that *isn't* on the firmware page mentioned previously in this thread. You can download it from Prolific directly:

http://tech.prolific...p?cateId=402798

(click on the "Browse Files: Go" button to see all PL3507-related downloads)

I installed this firmware update over USB 1.1 under Virtual PC (as described in a previous post), but sadly, it didn't seem to make much of a difference. The only upside is that I'm planning on buying a new Mac this summer, which will have USB 2.0 ports, and so hopefully I'll be able to stop burning coasters by switching from Firewire to USB 2.0...

I should add that I also have another ByteCC case (the 3.5" ME350-U2F) which also uses the PL3507, and the 200GB HD I dropped in there has been working fine over Firewire, with no hitches or problems whatsoever, for 6 months. Weird. I guess DVD burning is just more finicky?

Sigh... wish I had gotten the Oxford911 Firewire-only...

#57 MaddMann

MaddMann

• 1 posts

Posted 30 March 2005 - 10:57 AM

this firmware is working well for me.So far so good.No file corruption or write delay error when tranferring file with firewire. :D YMMV

#58 brook_jones

brook_jones

• 3 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 07:52 AM

I've still been having problems burning DVDs with my enclosure (ByteCC ME320-U2F / Mac OS X 10.3 / BenQ DW1610 burner), with about 3 coasters for every 1 good burn. Sigh.

I should add that I also have another ByteCC case (the 3.5" ME350-U2F) which also uses the PL3507, and the 200GB HD I dropped in there has been working fine over Firewire, with no hitches or problems whatsoever, for 6 months. Weird. I guess DVD burning is just more finicky?

View Post

Whoops! BIG RETRACTION...

After all this hand-wringing and coaster-burning, I have some good news. I finally thought to try updating the firmware of the BURNER (BenQ DW1610) as well as the enclosure, and whaddya know? Now it seems to be working like a charm. Don't I feel sheepish? The drive came with firmware v. B8B9 loaded, but that's pretty old, I guess, since BenQ are up to B8T9 now (having gone through most of the intermediate letters).

Anyways, if anyone else is looking for BenQ DVD-RW firmware, try:

http://support.benq....er&product=3731

(or)

http://dvdpro.club.s...are/BENQ_FW.htm

So I guess all those bad things I had to say about the PL3507 were unjustified... sorry, Prolific!

For the record, then: (it looks like) the PL3507 isn't such a bad chipset after all!

PS. BenQ and/or Future Shop: stop shipping/selling drives with crazy outdated buggy firmware!

#59 bfavre444

bfavre444

• 6 posts

Posted 14 April 2005 - 09:52 PM

Hey all. I was juuuust about to buy the ME-740U2F from newegg.com when I found this thread. Whew! I saw that the firewire-onlly version 740F uses the Oxford 911 which is good. But I'd like to have some versatility with USB2.

So, for those who have successfully flashed their firmware and are now running just fine (or if your drive was running fine before), could you perhaps post some benchmarks from using 7200 harddrives with SiSoft Sandra or HDtach 3.0?

Basically, if the Profilic chipset with firmware update can outperform the Oxford 911, then I'll be taking the risk of buying the Profilic chipset.

(Those with Oxford 911 chipsets can post benchmarks too!)

Thanks, all

#60 wicche

wicche

• 2 posts

Posted 16 April 2005 - 10:00 PM

I had the same problems with the Pl 3507 as you all have. It my pc does not have onboard firewire. I had been using the FW port on my creative Audigy Gamer sound card. I was getting writting errors, data loss/corruption and the drive would just vanish. So I went out a bought a firewire 1394A pci card and now all the problems so fare have gone away. Sow far. I am using the CompUsa 3.5 combo Metal Gear Box enclosure. The pci card I bought has 3 external slots and one internal slot. I is a cheap card($17) with a
NIC chipset.

#61 programmer

programmer

• 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 05:21 PM

When I flashed the rom it reamained at the same version as before i updated it even though it said the update was sucessful and i have used the correct version of the firmware along with the correct version of the wwriter

#62 programmer

programmer

• 2 posts

Posted 26 May 2006 - 05:29 PM

sorry I left out some detail and it wont let me editthe previous post. I noticed the code size now has no value but orginally it was 32768( B ). I have double checked that am doing it correctly. Also the checksum shoud be 6d81 but instead it's 8000 which is what it was orginally.

Edited by programmer, 26 May 2006 - 05:31 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users