SMART - "Spin up Time" Question

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 uart

uart

• 766 posts

Posted 25 June 2003 - 11:41 PM

I've noticed on HDD models that normally start from new with Smart Values at or close to 100% (ie not Seagates), that generally the only parameter that is not always 100% is "Spin up Time".

I've usually considered this as unimportant, but I'm just wondering exactly what it is measuring. Is it simply the time that it takes to reach a given RPM after power up and therefore unrelated to other data integrety parameters like bad/remapped sectors etc. Or is it somehow indicative of the health of the servo system or something like that as well ?

#2 sgrossklass

sgrossklass

• 1,027 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 06:02 AM

AFAIK this SMART value indeed mirrors the time needed for spinup. Seagates usually have that in the 70s or 80s, IBMs are usually above 100 (my Travelstar 40GNX is even at 147 or somesuch - it's the single-platter 20 GB model).

Stephan

#3 uart

uart

• 766 posts

Posted 26 June 2003 - 11:44 AM

Ok, that's kind of what I thought. So I guess the only problems that "spin up time" might indicate would be if your bearings were going or something then the spin up might get significantly slower.

#4 blakerwry

blakerwry

Posted 27 June 2003 - 12:47 AM

Ok, that's kind of what I thought. So I guess the only problems that "spin up time" might indicate would be if your bearings were going or something then the spin up might get significantly slower.

or possibly a stuck head...(or unreadable media)
Posted Image

#5 uart

uart

• 766 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 11:49 AM

BTW, the reason I asked this question is because my new WD800JB drive has all perfect SMART values except for "Spin up time" which is only 86.

Just wondering if that is normal ?

#6 sgrossklass

sgrossklass

• 1,027 posts

Posted 01 July 2003 - 12:40 PM

As long as the drive does not exhibit any suspiciously loud bearing noise, it probably is normal. As I said, SMART values are often rather vendor specific, and I don't know how WD handles that one.

#7 uart

uart

• 766 posts

Posted 02 July 2003 - 12:46 AM

Thanks sgrossklass.

Yeah, I really didn't think it was anything to worry about, however my old WD800BB has had this field at 100% since new. The bearings sound fine (cant hear them) and also I dont notice any "re-training" or "re-calibrating" sounds or anything else unusual when its spinning up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users